Enviropass Logo


The UKCA marking is the UK alternative for the European CE label for many products, including most electrical and electronic equipment under the Europe RoHS and ecodesign ErP directives.

UKCA Replacing CE Marking in the UK?

On February 2nd, 2019, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy of the government of the UK drafted guidance in this regard which was updated on September 1st, 2020. Here is a simplified summary of what we have learned from the official publications and what it entails in terms of RoHS compliance.

The UKCA label

What is the UKCA Marking?

The mark is a label that should supplant the CE logo on your products to be placed into the UK’s market, under certain conditions. UKCA stands for United Kingdom Conformity Assessed

Why Replacing the European CE Mark?

Due to the Brexit, the UK Parliament has adopted a UK marking, called UKCA. This marking enables the UK to diverge from the European CE marking requirements.

Where does the UKCA Marking Apply?

UKCA in Great Britain

In the UK, of course! To be more specific, if a product is placed into the market of Great Britain – England, Wales, and Scotland – it must bear a UKCA conformity label. 

Products sold in the European Union must still be labeled with the CE marking, according to the Blue Guide on CE marking.

The CE or UK(NI) marks still apply in Northern Ireland.

Does UKCA apply to Electronic Equipment?

Basically, yes. A list of in-scope European regulations and products is provided at the very end of the UKCA Guidance. This marking affects the products under the EU RoHS or the ecodesign ErP directives and special rules apply to medical devices.

For information purposes, the UK law on Ecodesign is the ‘The Ecodesign for Energy-Related Products and Energy Information (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019‘, and the UK RoHS regulation is the ‘The Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2012‘.

Is the CE Marking still Accepted in the UK?

UKCA or CE label symbol?

To label my product with the CE or the UKCA symbol? That is the question.

The UKCA applies from January 1st, 2021. Still, manufacturers and importers of in-scope products can still only CE mark the product. The CE mark is still accepted as an equivalent to UKCA until January 1st 2025. After that date, product that are not under the UK Departement for Business and Trade (DBT), like electrical and electronic equipement under RoHS, must bear the UKCA mark.

Additionally, this marking is not recognized in the EU. As a result, equipment sold in the European Union and the UK can typically bears both symbols.

What is the Game Plan for UKCA Marking?

If you manufacture or import electronic products in the UK:

1 - Build a Robust Technical File for EU RoHS and Ecodesign

Fortunately, the assessment rules on RoHS and ecodesign remain the same as the European Union. You need to perform due diligence, follow recognized standards, and build solid technical files with proofs of compliance. Your products must remain in conformity, considering the regulatory changes and the modifications in your designs, supply-chains, etc.

The record-keeping of your technical file is 10 years after the last product unit is placed into the UK market. 

2 - Draft the UKCA Declaration of Conformity

Once a product is deemed fully compliant, you can draft a declaration of conformity (DoC). Your UKCA DoC will have to include all the applicable requirements, such as UK RoHS. Enviropass recommends that you provide the RoHS exemption status on your DoC. 

For the time being, the standards are the same as the EU ones, with the addition of the prefix ‘BS‘ for British Standards Institution approval. Therefore the IEC 63000 Standard for RoHS assessment – Technical documentation for the assessment of electrical and electronic products with respect to the restriction of hazardous substances – becomes BS EN IEC 63000:2018 in the UK.

3 - Label your Product with the UKCA

UKCA Label on products

The labeling rules are still essentially the same as the CE marking ones. Like the CE marking, the minimum size is 5mm in height. The UKCA marking must normally be affixed on the product itself, on a visible and permanent surface. 

Note that specific UKCA requirements also apply to medical devices.

Should you have any questions about UKCA and UK RoHS, don’t hesitate to contact Enviropass.