|N/A||6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities (title only)|
See clauses 6.1.1 to 6.1.4.
This clause summarizes the process planning approach. It specifies the necessity to:
- consider risks and opportunities of environmental aspects, and
- tackle compliance obligations and other issues (per clauses 4.1 and 4.2).
The final environmental goal for the organization is to:
- achieve the expected results,
- reduce undesirable effects, and
- improve the EMS.
|4.3.1 Environmental aspects||6.1.2 Environmental aspects|
This clause details how to determine the environmental aspects of an organization’s activities, products, and services. It also requires considering:
- life cycle perspective, and
- the relation between risks and opportunities vs. negative and beneficial environmental impacts.
|4.3.2 Legal and other requirements||6.1.3 Compliance obligations|
This clause requires the organization to:
a) determine and have access to compliance obligations relating to its environmental aspects
b) establish a link between the obligations and the organization, and
c) take these obligations into account towards continuous improvement.
Note: obligations can lead to corporate risks but also opportunities.
|N/A||6.1.4 Planning action|
Here, the clause details how to deal with:
- significant environmental aspects,
- compliance obligations, and
- risks & opportunities,
by developing action plans. The EMS, as well as other processes (e.g., quality, health, and safety), must be able to support such action plans and evaluate their effectiveness.
|4.3.2 Objectives, targets, and programmes(s)||6.2 Environmental objectives and planning to achieve them (title only)|
See clauses 6.2.1 and 6.2.2.
|4.3.2 Objectives, targets, and programmes(s)||6.2.1 Environmental objectives|
According to this clause, objectives must:
- stem from the environmental policy,
- come with performance indicators with due dates and deadlines, and
- be communicated.
|4.3.2 Objectives, targets, and programmes(s)||6.2.2 Planning actions to achieve environmental objectives|
Here, achieving environmental objectives requires all business processes (environmental, quality, health, and safety) monitoring the planned actions.